Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R with larger Taxable Amount than Gross Distribution.

FTPhil
Level 3

Should I override the system or have the client get a corrected 1099R?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Get a corrected one. To me it is obvious you can't tax more than the gross distribution. I haven't had one like that, but I have seen the withholdings more than the gross amount, and I always get a corrected one. Just my opinion.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

How would you know which number to override?

qbteachmt
Level 15

It helps to give all the details. Which account type, which codes in which boxes? Employer plan, personal account, annuity, etc?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Get a corrected one. To me it is obvious you can't tax more than the gross distribution. I haven't had one like that, but I have seen the withholdings more than the gross amount, and I always get a corrected one. Just my opinion.

FTPhil
Level 3

I did miss a little bit of information that could help I guess... The reason I would assume the number to override would be the Gross Distribution is for 2 reasons, 1, the system is showing that as the error, 2, the State distribution matches the Taxable amount. Here's a shot of the form in question.1099R.jpg

0 Cheers
FTPhil
Level 3

I think this is the route that I will take - tomorrow as not too many other people are working today. Unless somebody else comes up with a reason that the 1099R could actually be correct.

0 Cheers
FTPhil
Level 3

I should add that the recipient of the 1099R passed away in September of 2022. I will have to ask the widow if she had to pay anything back, that could be where the error occurred if it is in reality an error.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"passed away in September of 2022"

Ask if there were any survivor benefits paid out, such as for health care coverage. Ask about in-plan rollovers or conversion to an annuity or LTC policy. Ask if something vested because of death as opposed to a regular schedule, so it isn't reported on the final W2. Ask them to find out whatever else happened that would explain this. Perhaps there was a loan out. It might not be wrong. It might not be coded properly, but the amounts might be right.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.