Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041 - Sale of primary residence by trustee

Daven
Level 2

Situation -  Grantor created a living trust in 2014 and the only asset in the trust was his primary home.  He passed away in 2019 at which time the living trust became an irrevocable trust.  The Trustee sold the property in 2021.  With CA property values going crazy, there is gain above and beyond the step up value.  Questions:

1.  Can the Trust get the benefit of $250k of Sec. 121 exclusion.  Some articles suggested that the exclusion is available to Trusts if it would have been available to the Grantor.  

2.  If "yes" to Q1, will this be on top of the step-up?

3.  Lacerte has no check boxes for sale of home and the use test on the 1041 returns like it has for the individual returns.  Any suggestions on how to put it thru the software if this is a legitimate deduction?

4.  For any residual capital gains, can it be distributed to beneficiaries, or does the Trust have to pay the taxes at the highest rate.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

It was not the trust's principal residence so no exclusion. This is the short answer.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Actually "nope" would be the short answer 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Daven
Level 2

Please review this article:

https://pollockfirm.com/section-121-deduction-qualifying-trusts/

Also review the 

td9030.pdf - Internal Revenue Service

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm not going to do the research but I think that refers to a Grantor Trust selling the house the Grantor lived in while the Grantor is still alive and living in the house.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Daven wrote:

Please review this article:

https://pollockfirm.com/section-121-deduction-qualifying-trusts/

Have YOU reviewed that article?  That is discussing Revocable Living Trusts.  When the taxpayer dies, that completely changes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Too many times folks present evidence here that they either haven't read or they read it but didn't comprehend it.  Sometimes you just see what you want to see when you read.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Daven
Level 2

I spoke with a tax attorney and got an answer that's different from the responses I got on this forum.