Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

work in state that does not live in

bob808
Level 3

I have a client who lives in AZ but for 6 months during the year lives and works in Washington. His w2 is Washington. How do I get AZ to not pick up the w2 income. I could do a part year return but I am not sure how to answer the question of date residence established since he moved to AZ in 2021. Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You don't. As an AZ resident, AZ will tax all of his income.

If he paid tax to another state on some of the income, AZ would probably give him a credit for it. But, as you know, Washington has no income tax.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

You don't. As an AZ resident, AZ will tax all of his income.

If he paid tax to another state on some of the income, AZ would probably give him a credit for it. But, as you know, Washington has no income tax.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

When he is in Washington, what license plate is on his car?  If he is stopped by the police there, what drivers license does he show them?

bob808
Level 3

I have come to the conclusion that he must pay Arizona the tax. He owns the business in Washington and flys there stays in the office building and rents a car. His driver's license is Arizona.