Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the hel! did they shuffle the Social Security worksheet entries around?

FTAX
Level 5

19 Comments 19
JRC
Level 8

Someone needed a paycheck for their accomplishment for the week.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think they tried to match it up to the actual statement better, the Fed W/H was in the wrong order previously.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

It took a lot of practice to do it the  wrong way, now I have to  learn that you should read the form!😅

IRunFar
Level 3

I have to agree with you.  When I first saw the change, I assembled the team together and warned them about it, and was concerned we would have data entry errors.  Now that I have done several returns, it is much easier to enter the info now.  For reference I've been using ProSeries for over 20 years.  I thought I would have a bigger problem converting to the "right" way, after entering things the "wrong" way before; but so far it has been a breeze.

PATAX
Level 15

@JRC you mean for the year?😉

FTAX
Level 5

There will absolutely be entry errors. It is called Muscle Memory  Why do they feel compelled to make pointless changes, while ignoring our actual suggestions?  

PATAX
Level 15

@FTAX not only them but also other entities like the federal, state, etc. They go ahead and make changes and then they make problems for us. Like Grandpa Jones used to say: "if it is not broken do not fix it"!!!

JRC
Level 8

HAHA..

WHY Did they stop there?

They could make the SS Worksheet easier to find!!!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@FTAX wrote:

There will absolutely be entry errors. It is called Muscle Memory  Why do they feel compelled to make pointless changes, while ignoring our actual suggestions?  

It had been suggested that they put the boxes in the correct order for years, they finally did it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
FTAX
Level 5

Suggested by whom? Spare me. They don't give a rat's. I've made suggestions - one over three years ago - in which a week doesn't go by when I don't get a 'kudos' from, that they never implement and for which there is no downside to them making the change. 

Intuit isn't unique, they are a typical software company that views its customers like cattle. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@FTAX wrote:

they are a typical software company that views its customers like cattle. 

I strongly disagree.  They would treat cattle much better than they treat their customers.

FTAX
Level 5

I stand corrected.

BobKamman
Level 15

@FTAX wrote:

Maybe they realize that they have new customers every year, who don't want to learn how to work around the old format just to please the OF's who resist change.  

FTAX
Level 5

Well, between Proseries and Quicken, Intuit is into this OF for over a hundred grand that last 30 years, and maybe they should cater to their actual customers rather than prospective ones.

Also, if they ARE going to shuffle around their form, they might want to do it in a way that's not idiotic. 

On the new Social Security worksheet, not only did they move the entry spot for income taxes withheld, you literally don't get to that line with your keyboard. You go from Total Net benefits Box 5 SSA-1099 forms, to Medicare B, to Medicare C, to Medicare D and then it hops right over income taxes withheld to "total net benefits from box 5 of all RRB-1099" forms. Are new customers demanding a random jump to Railroad Retirement sums when entering someone's Social Security data?  Just idiotic.

Anytime you have to remove you fingers from your keyboard and redirect the software's cursor with your mouse, it is a failure of software programing.

(I still miss the DOS version of the software.)

Camp1040
Level 10

The social security benefits worksheet also has an instruction error below Line D, in the Note area, concerning adding lines C,D & E. The "Note" instructions are for the 2022 worksheet.

FTAX
Level 5

LOL!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"it is a failure of software programing."

As opposed to some other form of programming?  Someone else pointed out that the column headings for "spouse" and "taxpayer" were removed.  Apparently this is also confusing for OF's.  That might not be fixed, but the tab to the FIT box will likely be updated by the middle of next month.  

0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5

Bob, I'm sorry we are hurting your feelings. Are you an Intuit software engineer? 

BobKamman
Level 15

My feelings are not hurt.  Just some cringes from the selfish attitude of some people.  "I want it wrong for the next generation because it's always been wrong for mine and I don't like change."