Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Proseries allowing a 92 year old parent as a dependent on a return to get the qualified 500 credit for other dependent?

gka111
Level 2

The program seems to have started to allow the $500 credit for qualified credit for other dependent for all dependent, regardless of age.  This appears to have just started within the last few updates.  

Has anyone noticed or am I reading the rules incorrectly?  I'm assuming I need to mark the box on dependents but I don't understand why Proseries stopped marking the box.

Is there a way to add a query so I can see what returns have already been sent in so I can figure out what returns I need to amend?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is there an age limit in 2018?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is there an age limit in 2018?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yes, you need to be over 17 or older, right?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
gka111
Level 2
The form states you must be under the age of 17 to get the child tax credit.  Proseries correctly marked the box that said they did not qualify.  I do not see anywhere  that states that to the other dependent credit you can be over 17.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Try Google

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
gka111
Level 2
Apparently you are correct.  Thank you.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Child tax Credit is for children, yes.  The Other Dependent Credit  is not.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers