Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does "Repair Updates" Need to be Run?

I never understood why "Repair Updates" needs to be run.  If something needs to be updated, why can't it just be downloaded through the weekly updates?  When running "Repair Updates", so much stuff comes in, and it may need to be run more than once.  It is obvious to me that these updates aren't "fixing" something wrong on my system, but rather something within the program.  And if that is the case, I ask again, why can't they just be downloaded through the weekly updates?

I know what some of the responses here will be.  If someone else asked this question, I would be one of the first posting a smart ass answer about Intuit.  But seriously, is there really a reason "Repair Updates" exist and why they can't be part of the weekly updates?

BTW, when these "Repair Updates" are being installed, they are identified something to the effect of  program updates and new products, nothing about repairs.

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess when you provide software that sucks at updating itself, you need a repair function to go along with it.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

My guess:  that's the nature of several decades of software development from programmers who come and go.

The update program works . . . most of the time.  But when and why it doesn't would require more programming than simply introducing a new update program to repair the things the old update program didn't get right.

Running repair updates every week automatically would probably take a long time (and put a strain on the servers if everybody is redownloading updates every week).  So the repair function is a "break glass in case of emergency" tool that only has to be run sometimes.

I totally agree with IRonMaN's description of the program.  And I think you are correct as well, that what the program has become is a pile of bandages on top of bandages.  But the three of us have been around here for years/decades.  Look at all the newbies who have been posting recently.  Think they have a clue about "Repair Updates" and the need to do them in addition to the weekly updates?