Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Form 1116 revert back to a Passive Category Income selection?

davetodd11
Level 5

I have a Form 1065 K-1 with both Passive and General category income and deductions (Box 16, codes F, G, M, and N.)  On the Form 1116 that I generated I checked the "General category income" box at the top.1065 K-1 Worksheet.jpgI then linked this General category 1116 on the K-1 additional info worksheet, but at some point, ProSeries changes this category selection back to "Passive category income".  This becomes an issue when entering the Foreign Tax Credit carryovers from the previous year.  I can enter the General category carryovers on the 1116 that I set up as General (and PS changed to Passive), but when I go to enter the C/Os to the Passive category 1116 that I set up, PS gives me an error message indicating that I should not enter the data there, but enter it on only on "the first copy of this category of income".  This actually happens regardless of which 1116 I enter first.1065 K-1 Worksheet addl info.jpgForm 1116 Computation Worksheet.jpg

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
davetodd11
Level 5

I figured it out.  ProSeries gives an error when entering Foreign Transactions info on the 1065 K-1 worksheet if entering both Passive and General income categories, and directs you to split these out into separate K-1s.  When I removed the box 16, codes F and M data and entered just those two data elements to a separate K-1, the Form 1116 reverted back to the General Category Income selection.  I was then able to enter my FTC carryover data without any errors.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
davetodd11
Level 5

I figured it out.  ProSeries gives an error when entering Foreign Transactions info on the 1065 K-1 worksheet if entering both Passive and General income categories, and directs you to split these out into separate K-1s.  When I removed the box 16, codes F and M data and entered just those two data elements to a separate K-1, the Form 1116 reverted back to the General Category Income selection.  I was then able to enter my FTC carryover data without any errors.