Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do i enter the sale of personal property on a residential home sale

LCM
Level 1

I HAVE A CLIENT THAT SOLD THEIR HOME AT A GAIN.  IN ADDITION, THEY SOLD ALL OF THE FURNISHINGS IN THE HOME.  WHERE DO I REPORT THE SALE OF THE FURNISHING.  THE HOME SALE FORM SPECIFICALLY STATE NOT TO INCLUDE THE FURNISHINGS(PERSONAL PROPERTY) IN THE SALES PRICE OF THE HOME.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like directly on Sch D then, do you have basis for the furnishings?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
LCM
Level 1

I AM ENTERING ZERO BASIS.  I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO ENTER DIRECTLY ON SCHEDULE D.  THE OPTIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.  I THINK I AM JUST GOING TO ENTER THE ADDITIONAL FUNDS RECEIVED AS ANOTHER HOME SALE WORKSHEET SHOWING THAT A 1099S WAS NOT REPORTED WITH THE AMOUNT AND SHOW A ZERO BASIS.  I THINK THIS WILL HANDLE IT PROPERLY.  I JUST DON'T WANT IT TO FLAG ANYTING WITH THE IRS

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Enter this on Schedule D the same as you would if it was a stock sale, except mark not on a 1099-B.

Mist likely the furnishings cost more than their sale price, resulting in a nondeductible personal loss.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

Were the furnishings sold separately or as part of the sale of the home? If included they do not get reported separately.