Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wages - W2 - NYS

Hoody1896
Level 2

Entering in W-2 Wages for NYS.  I enter the Wages and the Withholding.   If I change the Wages to 0 and keep the withholding it says it will be rejected for NYS EFiling purposes because it does not meet the 25 % of the withholding...  Has anyone ever heard of this ? Is there are a way for me to change this feature ? 

(Basically my client was taxes on wages in NY that he didnt earn and want to make it 0 and refund the withholding)

Any Guidance would be greatly appreciated?... 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
fredr
Level 4

how could they have withholding with no wages?

0 Cheers
Hoody1896
Level 2

They made a mistake.  He does not live in NY or Work in NY but Uses a NY address.  So the company took out withholding even though he doesnt work or live here.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you saying the employer withheld it to the wrong state?  If that's an administrative error, your client should ask the employer to issue a W-2C instead in the first instance.

Otherwise, report the wages as shown on the W-2 - you can't just "change the wages to 0" when a different amount is reported on the W-2.  Assuming your client is an NR of NYS and had no NY workdays, complete IT-203-B with all the day counts and it should then allocate $0 to IT-203, Line 1, for New York State amount.  This way, IT-203 will still show the SIT for NY and it will not trigger any critical diagnostic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Wait a minute!  Was there NYS withholding because your client telecommuted with a NY employer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Hoody1896
Level 2

Thank you so much..... My head is not with it.. Thank God for peoples help in this world. 

No he did not.  He was in Rhode Island working for the company in Rhode Island and then Moved to a completely Different Company.   He used the NY address simply to get mail. 

0 Cheers