Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-2 No Wages or tax withheld on Federal, but WV State wages and tax shown. Ineligible for efile

SKC2021
Level 3

Taxpayer received a W-2 with no wages and tax withholding on Federal but WV state wages and tax withholding. This is from a provider for difficulty of care payments under “IRS notice 2014-7”. How do you show this on Federal and State so it is eligible for e-file?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Interesting, CA conforms to federal and excludes these wages....Im curious to see the answer for WV.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
SKC2021
Level 3

If state of WV taxes these difficulty of care payments, could I delete the W-2 zero wages for Federal and enter West Virginia state wages under other income deducted from Federal adjusted gross income and enter the tax withheld under other state tax withholding, So that I can efile the return?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not sure if WV allows that (try it and see?) I know CA insists that anything that has withholding be linked to a tax form.

0 Cheers
SKC2021
Level 3

I am going to attach a copy of the W-2 on the State return by PDF. Hope it works.

Abhilash Jossy
Level 3

@Just-Lisa-Now- @SKC2021 I have a similar situation - My federal return includes W-2 with 100% foreign earned income exclusion, and there is a federal withholding, which I am receiving as Direct Deposit. However, in 2022 Proseries, there is a e-file reject message shows I should mail the return. 

Please note that I have e-filed the same return (same scenario) during 2021.

Can you confirm, please ?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

In my experience, you cant EF if you have federal withholding but total income on the return is less than the withholding.

I have clients with excludable difficulty of care income that have withholding on it.  If I exclude all the income, we cant EF.  But if I only exclude enough income that leaves income of $1 more income that withholding, I can EF just fine and it doesnt make any difference to their tax situation.

0 Cheers
Abhilash Jossy
Level 3

I have efiled the same client's return last year. That's what confusing me 😞

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Somehow you got lucky for 2021 then, did they have any other income on the return n 2021?

0 Cheers
Abhilash Jossy
Level 3

No other types of income. Thank you so much for your time.

Have a great day!

0 Cheers