Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa F1

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi and thank you so much for taking time to answer.

Client has both visa F1 and SSN, her husband has visa F2( without tax id and SSN). I ma going to file1040-NR file return for client. My first question is where should I enter her husband info? and second question is Client got 1095-A which included both client and her husband info without her husband SSN, while ProSeries does not support 1095-A in 1040-NR; what can I do for this form? Also their state has no tax.

I searched for PTC, for nonresident it does not work.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Nonresident Alien returns are an entirely different thing, so if you haven't done a lot of research on the matter, you may consider not taking this client.

Also, because ProSeries does not support the 8962 on the 1040NR, that is another reason why you may consider not taking this client.

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks for your advice. I am new in Proseries, it is my first year. I am familiar with visa F1 and tax treaty for. May I  have my answers regarding 1095-A for nonresident F1 and F2 visa. None of my F1 visas client had 1095-A and spouse before  , they were single. I am trying to find my answer, finally I had to ask you folks. If someone has experience pertain to my questions very welcome.

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Hi. Do you have any suggestion about this scenario?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Why do you need to enter information about the husband?

For the 1095-A and 8962, you would need to manually fill it out and override the software to show any credit or repayment on the 1040NR. 

After doing that, it MIGHT be an option to attach the 8962 by a PDF and then e-file and check the don't-do-error-checking-box.  However, I suspect that will cause problems, in which case it would probably be better to file it by mail.

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot. I found a way that first I entered all info of 1095-A and W-2  in regular 1040 to find out PTC credit then I printed it out and can attach to 1040-NR, what do you think? So, I do not know now where does the PTC amount credit goes in 1040-NR for Visa F1? In sch A? if it is ok what line can be ok for this?

To answer your question: Why do you need to enter information about the husband?

Since client made this 1095-A to cover her husband who has F2 visa for health insurance but her husband has no SSN and husband's name is on 1095-A as well with no SSN.

thank you so much for helping me.

0 Cheers