Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unclaimed property

MGC94
Level 7

What do you do if someone gets money for unclaimed property? 

They got a check for $6,402.89 

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
MGC94
Level 7

They also got a 1099-int from the unclaimed property of $1,352.05

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Obviously the 1099INT gets included..."what" was the other money?  would it have been taxable if they'd received back before it went unclaimed?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MGC94
Level 7

All the gave me was a check slip from the state with that amount on it. I do not know what the unclaimed property was. 

If it does get taxed. How does it get reported? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Kinda depends on what the payment was for.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Why don't you ask them what it was?  It could be an inheritance, it could be stock they owned 10 years ago that was sold five years ago (so the statute has expired).  That amount of interest suggests whatever it was, happened long ago.  Most states, though, don't pay interest on claims.  

MGC94
Level 7

I plan on asking them. They only dropped off their papers. I just am not sure where it would get reported if it were reportable. 

I will ask him 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Don't worry, it probably isn't.  On slow days I check clients with unusual names on the list at missingmoney.com.  Quite often find something, and help them claim it.  It's never anything taxable (but again, I can't remember ever seeing interest paid).  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Im seeing a lot of these 1099-Int forms. Illinois treasury........

Most have NO clue...

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@MGC94 wrote:

I just am not sure where it would get reported if it were reportable. 

There is no way to know if or where it is reported until you know what it is from.

taxes96786
Level 9

Due diligence...ask the client to explain the source. 

0 Cheers