Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Master Tax Guide (2023)

singh
Level 7

Wanted to know if anyone purchased " US Master Tax Guide (2023), Author Walters Kluwar, Published 11/30/2022? If you did would you recommend others to buy?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
athaureaux6
Level 8

I personally do not think you need to buy that guide. You can find the same information for free anywhere and to tell you the truth, any problem that you may have, here in this chat there are people that can resolve anything and I would like to recognize them. I am sure that you are going to learn here more than from any other sources. But it is my personal opinion. Cheers for our top solvers and I hope they will continue to offer their expertise. Happy New Year everybody. 

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
athaureaux6
Level 8

I personally do not think you need to buy that guide. You can find the same information for free anywhere and to tell you the truth, any problem that you may have, here in this chat there are people that can resolve anything and I would like to recognize them. I am sure that you are going to learn here more than from any other sources. But it is my personal opinion. Cheers for our top solvers and I hope they will continue to offer their expertise. Happy New Year everybody. 

BobKamman
Level 15

That brings back memories of looking up answers in my early days with Taxpayer Service, 45 years ago.  Back before we had the Internet, it was helpful when Pub 17 didn't supply the answer.  (I just noticed that J K Lasser still puts a new cover on Pub 17 and sells it to unsuspecting buyers.  Well, maybe they add content these days.  Does anyone remember the TV sitcom that starred a Lasser?)  

Back then, the publisher was CCH (Commerce Clearing House), a venerable Chicago company that was bought out by the Dutch a decade or so ago.  They also published a multi-volume (11? 17?) research guide with looseleaf pages that had to be removed and replaced regularly.  You either trained with CCH and didn't like their competitor Prentice-Hall, or you trained with Prentice-Hall and disrespected CCH.  

dascpa
Level 11

ADP & Paychex give them away for free.  Contact your rep.  Problem is, unless you get the online version it's outdated the day it's printed with the daily tax law changes.

singh
Level 7

Thank you so much, athaureaux6, dascpa and Bobkamman, for your input.

Yes, i agree, this site has been very helpful in getting our problems resolved. I have personally learned a lot from this site. Thank you everyone for your help.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I've only looked at it once, but it seemed like tedious reading.

If you haven't tried them, many people like "TheTaxBook" or "Quickfinder" for referencing things (both are similar, but I think many people prefer TheTaxBook).  But becoming proficient at Googling things works well too.

https://www.thetaxbook.com/products

If you are interested in purchasing TheTaxBook, they also have an online version that may be handy.  If you want to try NATP for your continuing education, the "Premium" membership (which is most useful if your primary source of continuing education is NATP) also comes with the online version of TheTaxBook as part of the membership.

https://www.natptax.com/MemberCenter/MembershipLevels/Pages/membership-comparison-chart.aspx

singh
Level 7

Thank you, TaxGuyBill, for your input. After reading all the input from this chat I feel buying that textbook will not be a good idea.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
Tributos
Level 2

I have used CCH Online (base price ~$600), The TaxBook (avg. $300 - depends on the components you want) and also the beefy 6" x 9" US Master Tax Guide (~$200). The latter is my preference, because I have multiple screens open at once and I label those sections I need. It takes up very little real estate on my desk.

True, if changes happen after print - it would render the resource - obsolete??? but - by how much?

Seems, it's a personal preference - but if Inuit provided an online resource or collaborated with Wolters Kluwer and gave existing customers a small discount, I would definitely be on board.