Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust K-1 code 14I - Sec 199A dividends

HoffyCPA
Level 1

Individual received a K-1 from a trust with a code 14 I (Sec 199A dividends) amount.  The trust only has investment income and is not a qualified trade or business.   The 199A dividends are not being included in the QBI deduction calculation.  Is it necessary to show the trust as a qualified trade or business?  I cannot get the QBI deduction correct no matter how I input the information.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
pcrubingercpa
Level 3

Just noticed the same thing.  The 199A dividends from a Trust return are not functioning through the program.  I'm going to set up a separate line item on Schedule B and enter the 199A dividends on the supplemental worksheet and see if that works.

0 Cheers
pcrubingercpa
Level 3

Here's the fix...you in addition to entering the Sec 199a dividend amount, you have to enter the same as Ordinary Business Income in the worksheet below.  Then, I believe the QBI deduction functions.

0 Cheers
kasprowitz
Level 2

Followed those instructions regarding entering Sec 199a dividends but it's now asking for an EIN # after I include the dividends as ordinary income

0 Cheers