Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer received two SSA-1099 Statements

Mimbreno
Level 3

Taxpayer received an SSA-1099 showing his social security number in box 2 and his  ex-wife's social security number in box 8. They have been divorced for over 10 years. They were married for over 10 years as well. I prepare returns for both of them. The wife, age 68 applied for and started receiving benefits in 2019 based on the ex-husbands earnings.  The husband, age 70 also started receiving benefits in 2019.  He received a 2nd form SSA-1099 under his name and social security number (in box 2) although her SS# shows in Box 8.. There is something very odd about this in my thoughts. It does not seem as though he should be including this on his return but everything I have seen says if you receive more than one SSA-1099 you add them together.  Any thoughts? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have a couple people that get 2 statements in their own SSN (I believe its from an ex or  deceased spouse, you'll see a different SSN down at the bottom of the form), I just add them together and enter as one.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

not sure about the SS# issue but if get a taxpayer with more than one 1099SAs on the 1099SA worksheet there are multiple columns for each 1099-SA.. mostly when I see more than one it is where one is TP and one is SP but a TP can have more than one, say, HSA company changed or they had more one one HSA administrator.. if one is spouse and filing joint, I click spouse box. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have a couple people that get 2 statements in their own SSN (I believe its from an ex or  deceased spouse, you'll see a different SSN down at the bottom of the form), I just add them together and enter as one.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Mimbreno
Level 3

Yes Lisa, there is the ex-wife's SS# at the bottom in box 8 followed by the letters BR which I believe stands for "Benefit Recipient".  If the ex-wife is receiving the benefit it does not seem correct that the husband should be paying the tax on it.

Edited: I just found out that the taxpayer did actually receive those two combined amounts so yes, I will just add the two amounts together. Thank you Lisa.