Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax return is showing standard deduction $27,900

The tax return calculated $27,900 for a standard deduction. Both spouses are over 65 and their itemized deductions are only $26,750. Has anyone else seen this issue?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Are one of the taxpayers blind?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Are one of the taxpayers blind?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

scratch my previous answer...I misread.   I think garman hit the nail on the head!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
No they are not blind and I haven't checked the box to indicate this.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hmmm....i would try re-creating and see if you come up with same.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Or try marking them both as blind and see what it does to the standard deduction!  
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
If you are not getting any help try e-mailing them at QBcares@intuit.com.
0 Cheers
IntuitKatieB
Unfortunately that email address is for Quickbooks, and is not an appropriate channel of support for Lacerte, ProSeries, or ProConnect Tax Online customers to get responses on support issues.
If continue to need assistance outside of this forum, please contact support for your product directly.
In your case, the ProSeries direct line is 800-434-6818.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
@Intuit Katie Thank you for the laugh.  I needed it:  "call Cust Support."  Hee hee.
Maybe you have not seen the millions of complaints about multi-hour-long delays to reach "support."
We all need a laugh to start the day!!!
0 Cheers
Correct, I am trying to avoid that!  I have worked for this client for years so it is odd that this appeared this year. They were able to itemize in prior years so it seems to be a system issue.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The standard deduction worksheet doesn't help at all to understand where the additional 1300 in standard deduction is coming from?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Scratch that, I just checked...it doesn't help.  I get the standard deduction of 27900 when I have MFJ both over 65 and I marked one of the as blind.....you're sure you didn't accidently hit that blind box in the fed info worksheet under their DOB?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
A QDL (qualified disaster loss) can get added to the Standard Deduction as well...any QDL shown on Sch A?

0 Cheers