Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Planning estimates for 2023

KTimber
Level 3

I have a client who is going to make 250K in 2023.  To compute the 2023 estimated tax, should I deduct the client's drawdowns and independent contractor payments and use the net income as the business income for the estimate computation?

Thanks 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I use Save As and make a What If file and use that to compute 2023 estimates.  Then I can delete or add whatever may be different for 2023 without having to worry about screwing up the 2022 file.   Then you can use that tax liability as your estimated amount for payment vouchers in the real 2022 file if needed.

Make sure if you do this, to uncheck the EF boxes on the What If file, so you dont get the dreaded Duplicate SSN message in Homebase.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I use Save As and make a What If file and use that to compute 2023 estimates.  Then I can delete or add whatever may be different for 2023 without having to worry about screwing up the 2022 file.   Then you can use that tax liability as your estimated amount for payment vouchers in the real 2022 file if needed.

Make sure if you do this, to uncheck the EF boxes on the What If file, so you dont get the dreaded Duplicate SSN message in Homebase.

qbteachmt
Level 15

What are "client's drawdowns?" Are you describing your taxpayer taking draws from their sole proprietorship (not an expense)? Or, distributions from their S Corp (not an expense)?

And is the business really the only type of taxable income this person will have?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
KTimber
Level 3

Yes drawdowns like distributions, he takes a monthly transfer from the business account. 

Yes, that's the only taxable income. 

Thanks

0 Cheers
KTimber
Level 3

It's a sole proprietorship. It's registered as an LlC. 

Thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

draws aren't an expense, you pay tax on your profit, regardless of how much money you actually took for yourself.

KTimber
Level 3

How about if the client pays himself a salary instead of a drawdown. 

Thanks 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sole proprietors can’t pay themselves wages.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Sole proprietors can’t pay themselves wages."

Because all of it is theirs, already. They are not a cost to their own business.

"It's registered as an LlC."

You mean LLC?

Have you considered Safe Harbor for estimates? See this article:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/estimated-taxes-how-to-determine-what-to-p...

That's what I rely on when a client has a constantly changing taxable income, and it's especially useful when they are on a constant increase. You just have to explain the difference between Safe Harbor and actually having paid in enough in estimate payments that they will hardly owe a balance, or at the least, they intend to be prepared if there is a large balance due (but at least they are not subject to penalty and interest).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
KTimber
Level 3

Can I use the tax planning feature on Pro series to do the same as noted above? 

Thanks

0 Cheers
KTimber
Level 3

Thanks so much.

0 Cheers