Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting jointly held 1099 dividends

linduca1216
Level 7

Previously I was able to enter full amount of 1099-DIV and use second line as a negative amount for spousal allocation.   Not able to do this in 2020...   I like reporting it this way in that the full amount is in sync w/ what is shown for primary holder on the account.   Any work-arounds to share?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you double click on the dividend entry line, another window opens with a place to Nominee a portion of the dividends and the software will make the negative entry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you double click on the dividend entry line, another window opens with a place to Nominee a portion of the dividends and the software will make the negative entry.

linduca1216
Level 7

Thank you!!

0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

Another question... Do you know of any way to do that for stock sales as well?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
No, they dont have a built in way to nominee a stock sale, you just have to make a second adjusting entry to nominee a portion of the gain/loss to the other person. Be sure your gross proceeds match the 1099B in that SSN to avoid the CP2000 mismatch notice.

0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

Figured that was the only way... Hope the program will accept it!

Accountant-Man
Level 13

When there are Capital Gain Distributions, using Nominee is not quite straight forward, but it can be used with manipulations.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.