Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Security Max Not calculated

sarah1
Level 2

The social security excess tax collected is not being calculated. Any word on an update to correct the error? I know this has been a common issue in past pro series.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sarah1
Level 2

I entered it in as an adjustment. So that the return is correct just found it weird.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its working fine for me.

You have multiple employers with different EIN's for the same person? 

Be sure youve assigned the W2s to the right person. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sarah1
Level 2

Yes, same taxpayer but they over-withheld social security by $788. It's not calculated as a credit.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Be careful, if the same employer but issued multiple W-2's then that's not a credit on the 1040.  The taxpayer must get the refund from the employer.  The credit is only for more than one employer with different EIN's.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think that's an employer thing rather than a tax software thing.

Slava Ukraini!
sarah1
Level 2

I entered it in as an adjustment. So that the return is correct just found it weird.

0 Cheers
sarah1
Level 2

Different employers

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldnt have to make any manual adjustments for this, youre entering something wrong somewhere.

sarah1
Level 2

It's one taxpayer not a spouse on the return. Two employers have two different eins total pay is $165,000 but neither w2 exceeded 147000. There is no credit for over paid social security tax. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But is one of the W-2s accidentally being reported as the spouse's in the return?  The software should handle it properly if everything is entered into the program correctly.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sch 3, Line 11 is empty? 

When I try it on a dummy return, I put 85k on one W2 and 80K on another W2, it flows as expected for me.