Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule E- Back House

Level 4

Hi, my client just started to rent her back house out. The management co sent her a 1099-misc. for back house do i choose single family residence or do I put "self-rental" or put "other" and I read that for expenses i can pro-rate them by the square footage. Is there anything else i should know any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. i am also thinking of maybe just referring them to someone with more experience i feeling a little stressed. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Single Family.

Is "back house" a separate structure?

There may be some expenses directly related to the back house. And some expenses may cover the entire property and have to be prorated.

You'll need to get the basis for depreciation, too. Did they build it? Or was it part of the property when purchased?

Maybe you should refer it out.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

Single Family.

Is "back house" a separate structure?

There may be some expenses directly related to the back house. And some expenses may cover the entire property and have to be prorated.

You'll need to get the basis for depreciation, too. Did they build it? Or was it part of the property when purchased?

Maybe you should refer it out.

Ex-AllStar
Level 4

I agree im going to refer it out. thank you

taxes96786
Level 9

Does anyone research Pub 17 or IRS instructions before posting questions here? The answer to this question is there and you would get what you need faster than waiting for someone here to respond.

0 Cheers
Level 4

Do you come on here reading people’s questions to tell them to read pub 17 what’s the point of you wasting your time reading these questions? This is what the platform is for if you don’t like what other people post simply move on it’s not necessary to pick on others. If you are so smart and read pub 17 may i ask what you are doing here in the help forum? Do you have a question yourself that you need help with? Im sure you have had questions yourself and wanted help from a peer. You making it seem like I’m doing something wrong by simply asking a question, some people have a hard time and your just making the situation worse by being rude. I have no one else to talk to about taxes other than the helpful people on here who take their time to help others unlike you. Life is to short to be rude you should try being kind and helping others. Have a good day. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Do you come on here reading people’s questions to tell them to read pub 17"

No, quite often she comes here to provide wrong answers -------------- evidently she doesn't always read pub 17 before she posts 😀

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

We are all supposed to be professionals. I believe that no one ever stops learning. I don't do others research for them.  When I see a post that looks like the person is too lazy to do their own research then I will post the location for an answer. ProSeries has several tutorials on how to use the program and the program will give you what the law says with one click.

I don't understand why a professional would not know where to find the answer immediately, rather than, having to wait for someone here to reply. One doesn't gain experience or knowledge by letting others do their work for them.

Yes, I do ask questions when.....I have done all the research but the answer isn't clear; when I have an unusual situation and am seeking experience from one who has dealt with the issue and when I want others opinion as to how best to handle an issue.

So, for those of you who don't appreciate my posts..please feel free to ignore them.

0 Cheers
Level 4

Wow so now you insulted me and called me lazy?? Really!! My goodness you just don’t stop do you. I am far from lazy.  I pay for an annual membership and pay to take lots of classes to learn, I spend lots of money on continuing education and sometimes these training or reading material is not black and white and don’t go into detail. I also have a book on rental property. We are human we learn things daily. like I said some people have a harder time than others. Your discouraging people from asking questions. Listen i will try to find a way to block you cause you are a very nasty person and I no longer want to hear from you commenting on my questions. Who said I was waiting around for an answer?? I still don’t feel comfortable helping the client so I referred them out. Not sure how many you clients you have where you can sit around and waste time on here attacking people with questions. My goodness your something else. 

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I agree im going to refer it out. thank you”

Wow! Someone who knows their limitations. How refreshing. We weren’t all born with 20+ years of experience. 

We used to be inundated by Diyers (driven here by Intuit) and we trashed them mercilessly. This is obviously not the case. 

I’ve  been lurking around here for nearly 20 years and have learned quite a bit by reading posts, asking questions, and posting wrong answers…. 

@10409000  Most of the people here are helpful, experienced , and smart.. you’ll get get some good learning. You can obviously stand up for yourself so do so. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@taxes96786  The OP asked a legitimate question, received enough information, and made a decision, and marked the post solved. That should have ended the conversation.

Not everything is contained in Pub 17. There are at least 3 others that give direction here and you can always delve into the code if you want to split hairs. 

I remember when one of the most prolific and helpful contributors here started by asking questions just like this OP. If you don’t have something constructive to offer then don’t waste your time.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
IRonMaN
Level 15

@10409000  Just ignore her.  She has given more bad advice here over the years than anybody could ever keep track of ------------ that is when she is posting something other than "see pub 17".  She is as welcoming here as a swarm of locusts.  But like locusts, she comes and goes.  Appreciate the good times when she has flown away to make someone else's life miserable.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers