Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch C vs Investment Property

taxes96786
Level 9

Client inherited 4 properties. My intention is to rehab/remodel them and then sell. Would you recommend that I create a (Flipping) business for the properties until they sell or just retain them as inherited/investment properties until rehabbed and sold?

I am not sure which is more beneficial for tax purposes. All are expected to be disposed of via sale within 3 years.

All responses are appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sch C you're looking at profits subject to SE taxes. As opposed to capital gains for selling an investment.

Sch C, all the rehab costs are part of inventory until the house sells, so Im not seeing much benefit from going the Sch C route...what are you trying to accomplish?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

My intention ??

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

My intention ??

Yeah, I totally love it when my clients let me sell their properties (and keep the proceeds of course).  🤣

taxes96786
Level 9

Sorry, typo...client's intention. The "I" refer to conversation from client.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

# Lisa...care to comment?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Many times when someone inherits a home it needs substantial work in order to sell it.  This wouldn't be considered a "flipping business" and put on Sch C.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Could you elaborate? This involves 4 separate properties, all in need of major rehab. Is it just because the property was inherited and not purchased by the client? There is a basis on the properties.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I personally dont think this is flipping business. He didnt seek these properties out for investment or business purposes.

He inherited these properties and in order to sell them, he needs to make substantial repairs, this isnt uncommon when someone inherits a home that hasnt been kept up.

taxes96786
Level 9

Couldn't an argument be made that, once inherited, the TP's intention was to rehab and sell. Does it really matter how the property was obtained? It is investment income, intended for gain on value. My question is would it be more beneficial, tax wise, for the TP to run it through a Sch C business?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sch C you're looking at profits subject to SE taxes. As opposed to capital gains for selling an investment.

Sch C, all the rehab costs are part of inventory until the house sells, so Im not seeing much benefit from going the Sch C route...what are you trying to accomplish?

taxes96786
Level 9

Thanks...that really helped and was what I was looking for.

0 Cheers