Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sale of inherited house

Linda-Sunshine
Level 3

Inherited a house then rented it out then sold it do I report as house or business asset sale?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

No exclusion, but since the step up probably wiped out most or all of the gain, then NBD.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Schedule D

Linda-Sunshine
Level 3

So are you saying it doesn't matter if I use home sale or disposition of asset as long as it ends up on Schedule D?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

At the time of sale was it a rental?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Linda-Sunshine
Level 3

They allowed a relative to live in the house for a few months. He paid rent. Moved out in April when his house was built, but the inherited house wasn't sold until July.....they did not plan on having a rental and did not try to rent it after the relative moved out.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You cant use the HomeSale worksheet, that's for principal residence (Main Home) only.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

They allowed a relative to live in the house for a few months. He paid rent.

Was the rent at FMV?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Camp1040
Level 10

Asset placed in service and removed in the same year, so no depreciation. Claim the rental income and sell it on schedule D as the others have said, with the step up in basis.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

No exclusion, but since the step up probably wiped out most or all of the gain, then NBD.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.