Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Coins

taxu2
Level 4

I have a client who goes to the bank and buys rolls of quarters to look for errors. If he finds one, he resells on Ebay for a profit. He also buys coins from Ebay and resells for a profit. Are these sales reported on Sch D as capital gains? I assume since it's currency it can't be reported on a Sch C? He does have an office and is planning on opening a shop to sale the coins. I haven't ever dealt with this kind of tax situation before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Are they considered collectibles if they have an error on them?

P.S. this sounds like a tedious hobby, but I guess if you can sell one with an error for more than 25 cents, youre making a profit.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxu2
Level 4

Yes they are considered collectibles. As are the ones he buys to resale. Oh I know, but he's selling quarters for around $60.00 each with errors or certain mint marks. If none are in the roll he cashes them back in at the bank. He's made around 20k doing this. 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

A regular and continuous activity with a profit motive sounds like a trade or business to me.  I'm not sure it's relevant that the coin shop is online via ebay instead of brick-and-mortar.

taxu2
Level 4

Well my original thought was Sch C. But I didn't know if there was something "special" or different because it was currency? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm thinking your original thought about schedule C was correct.

Slava Ukraini!
taxu2
Level 4

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. Since he is seeking a profit from the sale of coins I would just report on Sch C as I would a normal business with his expenses being the price of the coin purchased? If he buys 4k worth of coins on ebay and resales them for 6k. I'm just doing the usual 6k income minus 4k expenses? I apologize, it just seems it shouldn't be done this way. I think because of it being money. So I wouldn't need to do anything with capital gains since it's a business and does he need to report sales on a 1099-B? I'm hoping you can help straighten me out. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

He is buying and selling inventory.  The inventory just happens to be coins instead of anvils.

Slava Ukraini!
taxu2
Level 4

Makes sense, or is it cents. One last thing sir. So will the IRS not consider this as the selling of collectibles and want it reported as a capital gain? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

No.  They would prefer ordinary income and a little SE tax on any profits.

Slava Ukraini!