Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Rejected

Opfor77
Level 4

24 year old was a dependent in 2020, but not in 2021.  His mother received marketplace 2021 Form 1095-A that had both their names & social security numbers on it.  I filed the mother's with no issue, but the son's was rejected.  Unsure why, because there's no penalty if someone doesn't have health insurance.  Here is the rejection notice:

Error Detail:
The e-File database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing "ACA Explanation" must be present in the return.
Error Resolution:

This return rejected due to Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit missing from the return. In order to complete Form 8962, you should have received Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement with relevant information on the insurance that you purchased in the marketplace.
The ACA Marketplace providers have until 1/31/22 provide the 1095-A to taxpayers. For more information visit https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and­families/health-insurance-marketplace-statem....

ANY IDEAS? Thanks!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Son's SS# was on the 1095-A? 

From what I have seen others say here that is why the IRS is asking the question  if you did not have 1095-A and 8962 information on his return.

I have no idea how to report it since he was not the policy holder, but someone will likely chime in.

Opfor77
Level 4

Yes, his name SS# was on the mother's 1095-A.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The 1095A goes on the sons return also.   

If Mom already filed and used 100% of the 1095 allocation, youd allocate 0% to the sons return.

If mom hasn't filed, you may be able to allocate differently for a more advantageous outcome.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Opfor77
Level 4

Thank you!  I'll give that a try.

0 Cheers
Opfor77
Level 4

So here's a dumb question since this is new to me...

The 1095-A Part 1 has the recipient info on it, which is his mom's name, ss#, etc.

When I open form 1095-A on his return, it automatically populates the Part 1 recipient info as his name, ss#, etc.  Would I just keep it in his name even though it doesn't agree with the document?  Also, in Part2 covered individuals, would it just have his name?  If so, then in Part 3 coverage info A,B,C, just put all zero's in the columns?  Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
sewcpa
Level 5

Let it populate the top part with the kid's name etc.

In 2nd part list the other folks as well as him to show who all is sharing the policy

in 3rd part enter as it shows

On our worksheet there are other sections not on the form. This is where you list the allocation % that family agreed on so that kid's part of the amounts are the only amounts flowing to 8962.

0 Cheers