Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Files from Google Drive

I used Google Drive Backup & Sync to mirror my ProSeries files. From the (C:) I backed up each folder and subfolders example ProWin18 (with all subfolders) and ProWin19 (with all subfolders) and so on.

My PC got fried during a thunderstorm. Bought a new PC, installed ProSeries and now I am trying to download the information from my Google Drive. Any advice from someone who actually did it? I read the articles here and they are not helpful.

Can I just download the DATA folder? do I need to do it one subfolder at a time? 

What is the proper process to move the information on Google Drive and into the new PC?

I tried reinstating the 2018 files and I am getting all kinds of cache error messages.

Thank you.

3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

Did you or can you back up those files to a USB flash drive? If so , you should have no problem restoring those files to the old software... But first you have to reinstall the old software on your new computer, and then restore the client files for that applicable years software... Then after you install the 2021 software, you can just transfer the files from the 2020 software to 2021 software, as usual... this has worked for me in the past, but I'm not sure if this can help you with your unique situation...just my opinion... Good luck

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I haven't tried it with Google Drive but should work the same as any other backup. 

I doubt that you'll be able to copy the entire program from Goggle Drive to a new computer. If  it works, fine... If not, I'd probably download and install a complete copy of the  program onto the new computer from your intuit account.  Then copy only the data files from your google drive and run home maintenance.

I'd try it with one or two data files first to see if it works. . 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I'd grab the DATA folder and the COMMON folder for each year.  Install your software on the new system as usual, then replace the DATA and COMMON folders for each year with the ones you grabbed from your backup drive.

You cant reinstall the programs themselves from your backups, you need to download from your Intuit account and install.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪