Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting home sale two owners

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clients are a father and his son who both owned a home that they sold in 2020. Gross proceed for this home was $400,000, and this amount was split 50/50 on each 1099-s for the father and son. So the son's 1099-s showed gross proceeds of $200,000, and the father's 1099-s showed gross proceeds of $200,000. This was their primary residence and both pass the living/ownership tests, and since they purchased this home in 2008 for $300,000 their capital gains are exempt from tax. Both are filing under single status.

My first question is the cost basis. I'm assuming that I just split the original purchase price $300,000 by half, so on Form 8949 the cost basis would be $150,000 for the father and the son (They were joint owners with rights of survivorship and had 50/50 stake the entire time). Thus each of their capital gain would be $50,000. Is this correct? Putting in $300,000 doesn't make much sense considering the 1099-s is reporting $200,000 gross proceeds.

My second question is how do I determine the exact cost basis. The clients furnished the original purchase settlement to me. Here's the link so you can see the settlement form (identifying information has been removed):

https://postimg.cc/Q9HBFNdX

https://postimg.cc/hXQcQJ9Z

So do I just take the contract sales price of $300,000 (line 101) as the basis? I seem to recall HOA costs can't be counted as the basis. But since both owners are well under the home sale capital gains exclusion limit, it wouldn't really matter if I made a minor mistake here correct? Otherwise what is the precise cost basis for this home based on that settlement form?

Thanks a lot for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If i understand the transaction, you don’t have to make yourself crazy with basis calculations. Report the 200k on the 1099s for sale price and 150k each for the purchase price. Take the 250k exclusion and there’s no cg. Use the sale of home worksheet and you get the entry on Sch d.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If i understand the transaction, you don’t have to make yourself crazy with basis calculations. Report the 200k on the 1099s for sale price and 150k each for the purchase price. Take the 250k exclusion and there’s no cg. Use the sale of home worksheet and you get the entry on Sch d.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dkh
Level 15

If the gain keeps you under the exemption for principal residence sale with just the original purchase price as your cost then don't worry adding the the closing cost expenses to basis - it doesn't change the outcome