Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repayment of sign on bonus reported on W2

saboyercpa
Level 2

I have a physician client who received a sign on bonus in 2019 of $56000 that was reported on a W2.  He received a better offer from another physician's group and never joined this group.  They had him pay back $58000 with his personal check in March, 2020.  I am not sure that I can deduct this.  The group will not reissue the W2 showing no income.  Any suggestions.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Research 'claim of right'.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
rbynaker
Level 13

He'll pay the tax on the 2019 return.  That gives you time to research "claim of right" for the 2020 return.

abctax55
Level 15

Research 'claim of right'.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

@rbynaker ...  jinx 😂

( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

Remember the good ol' days when the forum software would tell you that someone else was replying at the same time?  What a fantastic upgrade this was!

saboyercpa
Level 2

Thanks everyone.  I see how to do it now.  It will have to wait until 2020 since that is when it was repaid.

itonewbie
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:

Remember the good ol' days when the forum software would tell you that someone else was replying at the same time?  What a fantastic upgrade this was!

Maybe that's still available if we're willing to sign our lives away. 😀

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar