Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental property depreciation

Janeabs
Level 2

If I purchase a mower for 3 rental properties, do I break that cost up for depreciation to put 1/3 of the mower on each property, or do I put 100% of the mower on just one of the properties

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the mower is used equally between properties, the expense should be spread between the properties equally.  You can either spit the mower into three assets or consider keeping an account for joint costs and just allocating those costs between the three properties.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Slava Ukraini!
Janeabs
Level 2

I'm asking for a client. He purchased a mower for 3 rental properties. I'm wondering if it's best to break up that mower between the 3 rentals, or if I should just put the whole mower on one of the properties. The result is the same in the end, but I'm not sure if there's a preferred method. I've been researching but can't find an answer. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the mower is used equally between properties, the expense should be spread between the properties equally.  You can either spit the mower into three assets or consider keeping an account for joint costs and just allocating those costs between the three properties.

Slava Ukraini!
Janeabs
Level 2

I currently have it split equally as 3 assets, so I will keep it that way...I was questioning myself on this. Thank you so much for your help!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!