Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Depreciation - years after expense

parvitstax
Level 5

If I lived in my home in 2020, made a backyard upgrade in 2020 but turned my home into a full time rental in 2022 can I add the 2020 upgrade as depreciation asset on Schedule E? 

Date place in service would be 2020 but reported in 2022 (first year as a rental).

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, yes, and yes.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
parvitstax
Level 5

This posting suggests adding improvements done in prior years to placing the property in service to the building's cost basis. Is this the correct approach? This would depreciate over 27.5 years vs 15 years for land improvements. So it seems that would be the incorrect approach.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It would help if you explain exactly what "backyard upgrade" actually means.

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Backyard upgrade = Landscaping

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Depending on what you mean by "landscaping", it might not be depreciable at all.

At any rate, when the property becomes available for rent, EACH asset is "placed in service" on that date, using the LOWER of (a) Adjusted Basis or (b) Fair Market Value.

As you pointed out, prior improvement to the home are already included in that "asset's" Basis.  But you depreciate each asset separately.  So separate items, like Land Improvements, Appliances, Furniture, etc. would all be depreciated separately.

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

So Landscaping (garden, pavement, walkway, other simple changes) in 2020 would add to the basis of the 2022 rental but should be reported as it's own asset? 

Does that mean this would be a 27.5 depreciation rate?

How would a prior improvement be depreciated then? 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, the "home" (building) is one asset.  Any prior improvement to the building are built-in to the Basis that you use.  Other assets (Land Improvement, Appliances, etc) are depreciated separately.

parvitstax
Level 5

So if the Land Improvement was done in 2020 and property became a rental in 2022 (personal residence before 2022) can I depreciate the Land Improvement?

Date acquired would be x/x/2020??

Date placed in service would be x/x/2022?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, yes, and yes.

0 Cheers