Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent to own residential rental

fredr
Level 4

Client has rented out house to same person for years and has claimed income on schedule E. Now he says it is a rent to own transaction where he pays same amount for a number of years. How is this reported, no 1099s has been made out because transfer of ownership does not happen until it is paid for.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then you have an installment sale.  But before you go through that effort, you might want to see the paperwork that backs up what the client is telling you.  Sometimes there is a short circuit between reality and what a client tells us, so you always want to see the backup.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then you have an installment sale.  But before you go through that effort, you might want to see the paperwork that backs up what the client is telling you.  Sometimes there is a short circuit between reality and what a client tells us, so you always want to see the backup.

Slava Ukraini!
fredr
Level 4

The big problem is this has been going on for 4 years and now he tells me.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Have the client bring you a copy of the contract.

IRonMaN
Level 15

David Letterman used to have a segment called stupid pet tricks.  He really should have had a segment called stupid client tricks. 

Slava Ukraini!
fredr
Level 4

How many years can i amend in this situation?

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You need to slow down a couple of minutes.

I don't think you know what you have yet. All you have told us is "The Client Says".

My recollection from and old business law class is that you can not have a "Verbal Contract" for certain transactions, and I believe one of them was transactions involving real estate.

If they don't have a written, properly signed enforceable contract - they don't have a sale yet.

GET THE PAPERWORK. If there is none, then they have no sale yet!, 

If there is paperwork, then you can figure out how to proceed.

sjrcpa
Level 15

" transfer of ownership does not happen until it is paid for."

If so, that's a land contract (?) which is a different animal that I know nothing about.

As everyone else said, get the contract first.

Ex-AllStar