Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software is everyone using for Form 5227 Split Interest Trust since ProSeries refuses to add?

PA CPA 900
Level 2

I've been told for years that ProSeries is going to add Form 5227 and it's still not there. They charge me for using LaCerte for this one return each year and I absolutely hate it. It takes me twice as long to prepare the return as it should by the time I download and figure out where to enter everything. Even the much cheaper Drake offers this form so I'm thinking about trying them out instead of using LaCerte. Plus I don't like paying additional for something which should be included in my ProSeries Professi

14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

Who in the world has been telling you that ProSeries is going to provide the form?  After centuries of begging I gave up years ago.  I used to prepare 4 of those buggers when I first started begging but now I’m down to one due to clients dying off that needed the form.  For years I used other software that provided fillable forms.  Lately I have just being doing them by hand.  They aren’t pretty, but it gets the job done.

Slava Ukraini!
Taxtime3
Level 4

I use Thomas Reuters Onesource Trust tax.  However, fiduciary returns are the bulk of what I do.

0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Technically, the IRS is "mandating" efiling of Form 5227 next year....but I'll believe it when I see it.  See instructions to form....where it looks like wishful thinking there as well.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The instructions say e-filing expected to be available in 2023, I didn’t see where it was mandated.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

It's late, I'm tired.  I read it the way I wanted to.  That's how I always read instructions to tax forms. 🤣🤣

If enough of us use the word 'mandate' as a narrative maybe the IRS and software companies will actually believe it!!

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Oh yeah, I think they expected it to be available back in 2021 as well.

Taxtime3
Level 4

This was the first year I could e-file a 5227.

0 Cheers
Karen
Level 2

Do I understand correctly that if I file more than 10 returns I will now need to e-file Form 5227?

But as we are all complaining about, Proseries does not offer form 5227.  In prior years I just filled out a pdf form and mailed it as I found trying to learn Lacerte more time consuming and frustrating than preparing by hand.  So what is anyone else in my situation planning to do this year?

FaithC
Level 1

I'm still trying to figure out what software to use for form 5227.  IRS sent a notice with the extension approval indicating it needs to be efiled.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
PATAX
Level 15

Like asking if you can have heated leather seats in a 1992 Yugo.😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are going to ask for heated leather seats, you might as well go for broke and ask for a flux capacitor while you are at it.😁

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I think radio was a luxury option in the Yugo. A.M.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Are you sure?  I didn’t think they were that luxurious 😜

Slava Ukraini!