Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Times have changed

PATAX
Level 15

I decided to take a break from all the tax work and get a New York strip steak at a nice restaurant. There was a group of elderly couples eating at a table near me. I happened to glance up, and I noticed that an elderly woman was wearing a baseball cap at the table.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TiredFarmer
Level 7

We were raised nothing but family, family talk, and food at the table and you asked to be excused before you got up to leave and if it was before you had "enough time to eat" you better have a really good excuse for asking to leave.  No phones, no hats, but believe it or not you could put elbows on the table. @PATAX I guess you will just have to visit our family table, but you will have to wait until the get some of the roads and bridges replaced from Helene.

PS But you would have to like "Country Cooking"

View solution in original post

34 Comments 34
BobKamman
Level 15

And?

Was it red?

Did it have a 4-letter obscenity on it?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Maybe she owns the team? Or, was it a trucker cap? Maybe she's a bit bald and embarrassed. Or, being treated for cancer and lost a lot of hair. Was it bright? Maybe she needed the bill. Did it at least match her outfit? Was it bedazzled?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

I knew you were going to respond Bob. No it looked greenish in color, but I am not sure as I did not want to stare as that is rude. And they were briefly talking about politics, and at least one of the elderly women apparently did not like President Trump. I am not sure if it was the baseball cap wearing elderly woman or not.

PATAX
Level 15

QB, it looked like she had a full head of hair and long too. I don't know if it matched her outfit or not.

BobKamman
Level 15

Not sure what part of Pennsylvania this involves.  If between Paoli and Penn Hills, then Alabama dress codes might apply.  Are you sure it was "fine dining" ?  I wouldn't get dressed up just for a New York strip,  Well, maybe for a New York stripper.  

PATAX
Level 15

People from Alabama have class and they know you are supposed to take your hat off when you are at the dinner table. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Evidently the woman feels that she is old enough to do what she wants, when she wants.  I still have a full head of hair so I don't need to wear a hat in a restaurant to cover up and I'm not quite old enough to go with the "do what I want, when I want ------------------------ but we are all going to get there someday if we live long enough.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Oh, and I am from Minnesota so on behalf of the lady I can say - mind you own dam business 😜

I guess the site doesn't like the correct spelling. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

But Iron Man she was out in the public. And I did not want to say this, and God forgive me for saying this, but she was ugly. If she was a young pretty blonde, like the waitress was, then I may not have mind.😉

Men telling women what to wear.  File that under Times haven't changed.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

We were raised nothing but family, family talk, and food at the table and you asked to be excused before you got up to leave and if it was before you had "enough time to eat" you better have a really good excuse for asking to leave.  No phones, no hats, but believe it or not you could put elbows on the table. @PATAX I guess you will just have to visit our family table, but you will have to wait until the get some of the roads and bridges replaced from Helene.

PS But you would have to like "Country Cooking"

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Maybe the hat and the long hair were all connected as a "wig", they do sell them that way!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

@TiredFarmer same thing here. I remember my mom getting up every morning at 5:00 a.m. and making dinner. It was already cooked by the time the sun came up. And she cooked breakfast for us everyday too, huge hardy breakfasts. Now they have a commercial about a mom taking her kids to McDonald's for breakfast. SMH. I hope all of you are doing good down there after that hurricane. Hopefully everything will get cleared up soon.

dascpa
Level 11

I assume your negative political "joke" was about Making America Great Again.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. Some current politicians would rather make Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran great again. Stick to taxes please.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But when were we great and when weren’t we?  1776?  1861?  1945?  1968?  2018?  This country is the still the best country by far to live in no matter what BS anybody tells me.  We aren’t perfect, we have our flaws, but who or what is perfect?  For those that think we aren’t great, I’ll use an unfortunately frequently used line these days - go back where you came from, because very few of us didn’t have some ancestors get off a boat to come here.  I guess the only folks that can really say make America great again are Native Americans since they are the only ones that belong here and don’t care for all of that illegal immigration that washed up on the shores from Europe.  So as I get off of my soap box let me quote the great American philosopher Rodney King - can we all just get along?   Now that I think of it, if we can ever do that again, that would make America even better.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  Some sources say the last lynching in the US was in 1981, so maybe that's when it was great, although the kid shouldn't count because he was only 19 years old.  So maybe go back to 1989, when the Central Park Five were charged with a crime they didn't commit, and someone bought an ad in the New York papers that recommended capital punishment.  Since social justice isn't a thing for many people these days, maybe try 1997, the last year we had a balanced federal budget.  That President was elected twice but his wife only won the popular vote.  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I'm just here to say I would have ordered a rib eye steak instead of a strip steak. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio I only ate half of the steak, the rest I bring back for Heidi. And I forgot to mention I also got rice pilaf and the salad bar. That rice pilaf was almost as good as my mom's.

PATAX
Level 15

@dascpa 👍 thanks das.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I'm just here to say I would have ordered a rib eye steak instead of a strip steak"

I would probably have just gone with a burger.  Do they have good onion rings there or should I just stick with fries?  

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN they do have good burgers there. I would go with the onion rings instead of fries, since that is something that most people do not eat much at home.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"had a full head of hair and long too"

That could all be attached to the hat, though.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Alabama dress codes"

"you are supposed to take your hat off"

Montana enters the chat room to complain...

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I think this article describing hat ettiquettte from Hats in th Belfry should clear this matter up:

https://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/pages/hat-etiquette#:~:text=Generally%20hats%20should%20be%20removed....

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Jim.

BobKamman
Level 15

@PATAX  "Fine dining," with a salad bar?  That sounds more like Mississippi than Alabama.  I'd wear a baseball cap, too, to keep my hair out of the Ranch dressing.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman I said it was a nice restaurant, you are the one that said fine dining. Learn how to read. And the salad bar was extremely small, probably about six feet long. How come you didn't respond to dascpa's post?

0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 4

Probably breaking wind too!

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I just picked up lunch to go, pierogies, stuffed green pepper, and green beans. I love East European food.

IRonMaN
Level 15

What, no sarmas?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I got that last time with haluski. Always tastes better the second day too.

BobKamman
Level 15

I've always thought of pierogi (plural of pierog) as Polish, and Poland as Central Europe.  But maybe you're buying the Russian or Ukrainian style, which are better known as varenyky.  Doesn't really matter, since it's all originally just a kind of dim sum.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I had to look up what haluski was since I never have had that.  When I did the search it came up with a recipe that had a bunch of comments, most of which said they added sausage or bacon to it.  When you eat it, is there some type of meat added?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

It is also called cabbage, noodles, and bacon. I think the bacon part is more Northern Slavic, like Polish, Slovak, or Czech. Some people don't put bacon in it, and just call it cabbage and noodles.