Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Member LLCs

kobe22
Level 2

We are Husband & Wife & we each own a single member llc. One LLC is registered to Husband and another LLC is registered to Wife. Do we each have to file married filing separately? Or can we file as married and each report our LLCs on one individual tax return?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Either MFS or MFJ works as long as the schedule Cs are reported separately for each spouse.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

kobe22
Level 2

Thank you IRonMaN for your response.

This is the link a ProSeries customer service rep provided.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/generating-e-filing-singl...

I am assuming ProSeries Professional does not support filing two separate LLCs for each spouse.

Also, I keep getting an error message on both LLCs that the LLC box checked on Schedule C can only be checked for one Schedule. When I open the CA LLC there is only the one LLC displayed and not an option to view a second CA LLC.

0 Cheers
kobe22
Level 2

Hello BobKamman, I have posted on Turbo Tax and a response referred me to ProSeries Professional discussion since I am a ProSeries Professional customer. I appreciate your response.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm not a CA tax preparer so see if this link helps at all:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/how-can-i-enter-two-2-l...

Slava Ukraini!
sewcpa
Level 5

For TX Franchise Tax reports on LLC (or other corporations) we have a similar problem. One state filing per 1040 return even though there are 2 or more required state filings for single member LLCs. [ This yr Intuit also would not allow us to file the state return before filing IRS on some forms (1120s, 1065, 1040)-claiming that IRS wanted to make sure that IRS was not cut out of the filings]

Intuit does not allow me to do any past the 1st one so I do the extras directly on the State Comptroller website. Not having the carryover info from prior yr is a draw back but usual they are the easiest to file so it is not a real bad situation. And usually these qualify as "no tax due" since they are low gross proceeds entities.

Good Luck

gsa11
Level 3

First, I would call the ProSeries helpline to see if they have a work around.  Second, you might need to consider paper filing so that you can file jointly if the software is incapable of allowing a second single member LLC for CA.  If I was paper filing this return, I would choose whichever LLC was simpler to prepare on paper and let the other one roll forward in the software each year.  It would be a pain, but MFJ is often better than MFS so it would probably be worth it.  Good luck.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You can Save As the federal return and give it a new name and use that new file for only the second CA 568 LLC return. Uncheck the EF boxes for fed and 540, only check EF for the 568 on that second file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪