Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental home 1099 misc

singh
Level 7

I have a customer who has 3 rental homes. The property management sent him a 1099 MISC and on LINE 1 (Rents) he showed $26,000. Each rental home (lets say A) had gross income $12000, B had $8000 and C had $6000 which gives $26000 gross income. 

The issue is that each house had its own gross income and each had different deductions (expenses). If I enter 1099 Misc with $26000 then what should I enter on SCHEDULE E LINE 3 (Rents received).

If I enter on line 3 of Schedule E - A $12000, B $8000 and C $6000 I end up with double entry of $26000.

How do you think I should handle this situation. 

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Camp1040
Level 11

Allocate the amount of the 1099  rental income to each  property and allocate your expenses to each property.

You really don't have to enter the 1099 form, just make sure your totals match..

IRonMaN
Level 15

Good answer -------- but then again, any answer is a good answer on a Monday after noon this time of year 😁

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 11

....and I answered on my new windows 11 computer. Kudos to intuit, the migrate option worked flawlessly for my situation!

Thanks

IRonMaN
Level 15

Congratulations on moving up from that 1979 Yugo to Windows 11!

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

I have never seen real estate rental property management company issue separate 1099 forms for each separate property. I have always seen it totaled in the aggregate,  and issued to the individual taxpayer who received the rents. Camp and Ironman are correct.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@PATAX wrote:

I have never seen real estate rental property management company issue separate 1099 forms for each separate property. I have always seen it totaled in the aggregate,  and issued to the individual taxpayer who received the rents. Camp and Ironman are correct.

Agreed, they always lump them all together.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪