Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise em, raise em, raise em

PATAX
Level 15

Your fees.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's not so bad.  I had a new client that came in last week.  They have a family partnership made up of a single brokerage account.  The family had been dealing with a large accounting firm since dirt, but the firm told them they were too small to mess with any longer so buzz off.  But to help with the transition they would be happy to provide the new accountant with the prior two years of personal and partnership tax returns.  Of course to justify their preparation fee, each return is an inch thick of which 11/12 of that inch is useless paper.  So those helpful folks tell the clients after everything is ready - "by the way, our fee for providing those four copies is $315".  I don't know how some of these people sleep at night.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

I followed your advice.  I doubled my fees for half of my clients and did the other half for free.  I just can't figure out why my bottom line is showing the same as last year after doubling those fees 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Raise em. You'll do less work and make more money and maybe get rid of some of the Pia.

IRonMaN
Level 15

To be honest, I really don't have any PITAs these days.  Of course that doesn't mean that my wife doesn't have more than her fair share😁

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

My sister who lives in upstate NY said her accountant (I was tired of handling my entire family for free without thanks....) changed this year to two prices:  $675 and $1,350.  Her return was $200 and now $675.  Needless to say she asked if I would do it (for free).  I can count on two hands the number of returns I have at those prices.  As PT Barnum (supposedly) said:  There is a sucker born every minute.

PATAX
Level 15

@dascpa that is more common than you think. A friend, who is a retired police officer, fee went from approximately 275 to 495. This year I will be doing his returns, even though I usually do not take new clients.

IRonMaN
Level 15

That's not so bad.  I had a new client that came in last week.  They have a family partnership made up of a single brokerage account.  The family had been dealing with a large accounting firm since dirt, but the firm told them they were too small to mess with any longer so buzz off.  But to help with the transition they would be happy to provide the new accountant with the prior two years of personal and partnership tax returns.  Of course to justify their preparation fee, each return is an inch thick of which 11/12 of that inch is useless paper.  So those helpful folks tell the clients after everything is ready - "by the way, our fee for providing those four copies is $315".  I don't know how some of these people sleep at night.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN someone has to pay for the vacation home and little Bartholomew's piano lessons.

rcooley25
Level 11

Price of fireball is going up so I will most likely have to raise mine.

PATAX
Level 15

@rcooley25👍 the price went up because of the extraordinary high demand for Fireball from Illinois.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"the price went up because of the extraordinary high demand for Fireball from Illinois." ............. from a single customer in IL.  

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

Wow. I wonder who that person could possibly be?

It wasn't me!  All the Fireball was gone when I got to the stores.