Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police Officer Uniforms

Summit1
Level 5

Police Officer has unreimbursed Uniform and cleaning expenses. He is not able to Itemize so I am assuming he will not be able to use this deduction. I also read online that the uniform deduction was suspended from 2018 through 2025.

Am I looking at this correctly and has anyone heard that the deduction was suspended?

Thank you!

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You are correct. But realisitcally, the chance of his uniform expenses exceeding 2% of his adjusted gross income to be included as part of misc itemized deductions is slim at best....so hes not really losing much.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Summit1
Level 5

Thank you! I appreciate your input!

PATAX
Level 15

Check to see the state rules. Pennsylvania still has deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses, Subject to rules and regulations...

Summit1
Level 5

Thank you!!I will review the GA law.

PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome

BobKamman
Level 15

But they usually have other miscellaneous deductions to go along with it, like their firearms and ammunition for required target practice.

Remind me who signed that law that defunded the police tax deductions?

Summit1
Level 5

TCJA suspended these deductions from 2018 thru 2025.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think he was inquiring as to who signed that police de-funding bill into law.  Bob is old and sometimes a little forgetful so he likes to ask these kinds of questions to try and keep his mind sharp.

Slava Ukraini!
Summit1
Level 5

Donald Trump 12/2017, effective 1/1/2018