Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper 1099

Good afternoon, 

So, I have a new client who needs three simple 1099 forms to complete asap, along with Form 1096. 

I've pulled the Instructions but thought I would see if there was any good advice from the community for last minute manual 1099/1096 creation. 

Thank you!! 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I order forms free from IRS every year, none of my clients have more than 5 total forms that need to be filed, so I send them by paper.   

Im not sure my patience and sanity will allow another login and password and hassling with more  technology before I finally snap, I can whip them out on paper with my current accounting program (especially if they had one the prior year, all the info is saved I just update the dollar amount) just as quick if not quicker than I could log in and file them online.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

For less than $5 each, I would use a third party service.

Track1099 and TaxBandits are probably the two most popular services, but there are there several other options including Tax1099, efile4biz, efilemyforms and others.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I order forms free from IRS every year, none of my clients have more than 5 total forms that need to be filed, so I send them by paper.   

Im not sure my patience and sanity will allow another login and password and hassling with more  technology before I finally snap, I can whip them out on paper with my current accounting program (especially if they had one the prior year, all the info is saved I just update the dollar amount) just as quick if not quicker than I could log in and file them online.

abctax55
Level 15

The F.1099, plus the F.1096 transmittal has to be done on the 'red' copies.  So a trip to the stationary store may be in order.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 👍 well said. They dropped the threshold from 250 to 10 in just one year. So don't be surprised if they reduce it down to zero, and then you will have to do their work for them and e-file everything. Isn't it great doing other people's work for them and not getting paid?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If its going to cost me out of pocket more than postage, I'll have to start charging per form, right now I wrap it into my tax prep fee.  They're happy, its done right and it costs me next to nothing.

Even those services that only charge $5 per form, I; have to charge 4x that to make it worth my hassle.

I signed up for that IRIS thing, and they gave me a number, I see it when I log into EServices, but I guess I need a TCC too?  Blah!  Too much hullabaloo!   And I see lots of people struggling with that IRIS thing this year.

I see that bill thats in committee (HR7024) would raise the 1099NEC/MISC reporting threshold to $1000 instead of $600, so that could weed out a few of them.

PATAX
Level 15

They couldn't get the simple Iris thing done correctly, just filing 1099 forms, and they couldn't get that done without issues and problems. But yet they're launching direct e-file for 1040 returns and they are going to be able to handle that? God Almighty I must be living in a dream. Early retirement sounds good to me.

Thank you, everyone, really appreciate the comments!!! 

So, I just dropped by the Office Supply store and paid for a packet of 4 1099's, with copies, and a red ink 1096 for $25.

I'll keep all of this in mind though going forward as my practice grows. 

By the way, is it too late to order a few more from the IRS? 

Thanks again!

sjrcpa
Level 15

You can order from IRS any time.

Ex-AllStar

Thank you! Will do.

abctax55
Level 15

And a tip... I always put a note on my November calendar to order these.  Even if  I don't need them (now that efile is required for so many of my clients) it's nice to have them on hand.  Just in case, and in my small community non-clients often call (at the last minute, in a panic) & I can hand them out for free.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I ordered some 2023 forms last year just in case IRIS crapped out.  It did.  But I managed to get everything filed before that happened (well, hopefully, folks are now saying they can't access their data at all so maybe everything was lost in a server crash).

If you're ordering now, might as well throw in some 2024 forms.  They don't always ship right away but then later in the year I get a surprise package.  "Oh yeah, I forgot I ordered those things . . . "

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/order-products

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I ended up with double the amount I needed, I ordered for 2023 back in spring last year, then forgot so I ordered again in November...Im swimming in 2023 1099/1096/W2/W3s right now!