Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Client EMail scam

PATAX
Level 15

per irs ir-2024-05 scammers send email posing as new client. a colleague told me last week he received two emails from new prospective clients. i told him it was fake, why wouldnt they just call. i wonder how they got our email addresses?

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I've had those pop on and off for the last few years.  If your colleague thought he was receiving e-mails from potential new clients, I just hope he doesn't start receiving e-mails regarding that dearly departed Nigerian prince.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

I've had those pop on and off for the last few years.  If your colleague thought he was receiving e-mails from potential new clients, I just hope he doesn't start receiving e-mails regarding that dearly departed Nigerian prince.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I was being a little sarcastic there with that question at the end. My colleague and friend has been doing taxes for many years and he does not advertise. Therefore, I am wondering if they're getting the business email addresses for tax Pros from the ptin disk that I believe is produced with tax Pros information, other than the ptin? If I'm wrong then please let me know.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@PATAX wrote:

I am wondering if they're getting the business email addresses for tax Pros from the ptin disk that I believe is produced with tax Pros information, other than the ptin? If I'm wrong then please let me know.

The FOIA list of PTIN holders has your name and address (and maybe your phone number and website), but doesn't list email addresses.

Do you have a website?  They could be picking up the email address from there.

Otherwise, many companies sell your information, especially if they are offering something 'free'.  If you EVERY have gone to a tax related website and you enter your email address, it may have been sold.  For example, CPE classes, websites that offer to email you 'free' information, etc.  Maybe even some tax forums sell your information.

sjrcpa
Level 15

That's a likely source.

So is a preparer's website, LinkedIn, Facebook, business card, etc.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa @TaxGuyBill @IRonMaN thanks for the information. He doesn't have a website just like I do not have one. It could be CPE entities or tax reference publication entities. But who knows. Obviously if they're targeting a lot of tax professionals they are getting that information from a central source I would think. But I could be wrong.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe Intuit sold the addresses 😜

Slava Ukraini!