Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client received a 1099-misc form for "lemon law" settlement and also the attorney fees are part of box 3. how do I deduct the attorney fees?

Mbetanco
Level 1
Form 1099-Misc, box 3 $73,75.96
Actual money received in a check $50,625.50 
Attorney fees $23130.50
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Hopefully they didn't spend it all and can pay the taxes on that 73k.

TCJA took away the ability to deduct most personal legal fees.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-deductions-and-credits/can-i-deduct-legal-fees-on-my-taxes/...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Don't forget only the amount over the price of the car is taxable, and as Lisa  said the attorney fees are not deductible

taxes96786
Level 9

Make an adjustment on the Actual Money received line to subtract the amount the client is out of pocket (originally paid for the car).

BobKamman
Level 15
natalia920mr24
Level 1

I understood that the only amount could be waived or deducted is, the repurchase amount for the car, then everything else Tax payer needs to pay tax (I wish at least the attorney fees be deducted to because tax payer never received that money and I guess attorneys are paying tax for that income??) where we can deduct in Proseries the repurchase amount ? because in the 1099-misc box 3 is showing the full amount combine "Repurchase amount + additional damage to TP + attorneys fees & costs and awards + any additional damages or awards"

0 Cheers