Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest to be paid or credited on State refund

PATAX
Level 15

Client recently received letter concerning original 2022 state individual income tax return, where Pa acknowledges the refund that was applied or credited to 2023, and apparently are going to pay him (or apply amount to his account) interest on this overpayment applied.  Original 2022 return was filed last year. I cannot recall any client receiving interest on a refund applied to succeeding year. Has anyone else seen this either in Pennsylvania or any other state? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I've never seen it when an overpayment is applied to next year's estimated tax.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

I've never seen it when an overpayment is applied to next year's estimated tax.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

Sue, this is what I think may have happened. If my memory serves me correctly, Pennsylvania may pay interest on the refund, if the refund is not mailed out within 75 days or the credit acknowledged within 75 days ( and apparently if there are no issues or questions). It appears based on this letter, that they are just now acknowledging the overpayment that was credited from 2022 to 2023. Since the 2022 return was filed last year, they are apparently going to issue him an interest refund check or apply it to his account. This was a large return that the client wanted to paper file, i.e. the old timer didn't want to efile. Apparently it took Pennsylvania over one year to acknowledge this overpayment credited, which they apparently did in this letter that they just received,  and that's why they're getting interest, but I may be wrong.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Good for your client.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Tell your client to go out and buy a lottery ticket before their luck changes 😁

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

The 75 day time period, referenced above, is apparently the later of: 1.) The return due date or 2.) The actual filing date of a complete, correct return.