Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft Verification Notice

BobKamman
Level 15

I have read about IRS notices to people whose identity needs to be verified, but all of those seem to relate to legitimate returns. What happens when someone gets a notice involving a fake return?

My client emails me this morning,

“I got a letter from IRS yesterday telling me that they received a income tax return 1040SR with my name and social security number. I need to verify my identity via the computer before they can process the return. My guess is that someone has compromised my identity since the letter was only addressed to me. [She files jointly with her husband, whose name is listed first on the balance-due paper 1040 sent to IRS in mid-April.]

“The letter lists the site I need to use, and that I have the letter they sent and the 1040 series tax return for 2021. They want me to complete this within 30 days. They do give other ways that I can resolve this situation. One is by phone with the information I listed previously plus an additional years tax return other than the year in question and supporting documents for each year’s tax return that I am using for this issue.”

–So, how many hoops should she jump through to tell them to go after the crook, and not her? Seems to me someone filed with her address, but asking for a direct deposit to a different bank account.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
clr600
Level 8

As many as it takes to solve the problem

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

But I don't think she has a problem.  IRS has a problem.  No matter what she does, she will probably have a secret decoder ring number to put on her return next year -- if she doesn't use that, will it delay them cashing her check?  

clr600
Level 8

No they will cash the check first

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"how many hoops should she jump through"

Here:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-central

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"Respond immediately to any IRS notice: Call the number provided."

L.  O.  L.