Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find accumulated depreciation?

TSW
Level 3

Is there a way to easily check accumulated depreciation. I have a client that sold a rental property after 15 years and I have been filing their taxes for 15 years with proseries. Is there a way to quicky find deprecation through the years without having to go in each year 1 by 1 in order to add back depreciation due to the sale of the property?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Go to the asset entry worksheet, and look for the Asset Life History button, that will show you the prior dep and you can plug it onto the line for Prior Dep on the asset entry worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You must have the information in your file.

couldn't have done year 2 without the correct accumulated from year 1,

Look at your depreciation reports for the last completed year, you should be able to find something there

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should have a depreciation report for each rental, it will show current and accumulated depreciation.  Look at your forms in use list
deprreportformsinuse.png

TSW
Level 3

The actual building being depreciated for 27.5 years does not show prior depreciation. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Trust me it's there.  Did you look at the actual depreciation schedule that Lisa referenced?

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Odd.

So you get to go through 15 years of tax returns or just compute it. 

Ex-AllStar
TSW
Level 3

Screenshot (2).png

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Go to the asset entry worksheet, and look for the Asset Life History button, that will show you the prior dep and you can plug it onto the line for Prior Dep on the asset entry worksheet.

0 Cheers
TSW
Level 3

Thank you very much. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You said they sold their rental after 15 years, but your "placed in service" date shows much more than 15 years.

When you first entered the asset in the first year they were your client, if you did not enter the "prior depreciation" then, that report won't show the "prior depreciation" because it doesn't know what happened before you had the client.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I would also be concerned that there was no amount entered for land.  So either there's basis in land somewhere else (which is fine, it doesn't get depreciated so technically doesn't need to be on a depreciation schedule) or the basis might not have been properly allocated.  Either way sounds like you have some homework to do!

0 Cheers