Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to efile decedent return when there is a court appt representative?????

140Main
Level 2

Must jump through hoops and file form 1310 incorrectly to efile decedent return when there is a Court appt. rep.

Other software products do NOT have this glitch and endless loop that Proseries Professional has.

Every time I need to file decedent return, Proseries article specifically states, "you may file electronically if you are the court appt rep and include court certificate as attachment.  However, Proseries still autogenerates Form 1310, and when you choose court appt rep, you are NOT allowed to efile.  

When I go through Final error check, it tells me to attach the court certificates (which I have done) and to check box C "not a court appt rep" on the Form 1310.  When you answer all the questions incorrectly (no will, no appt rep, etc)---then you are allowed to efile. 

Proseries is specifically telling me to file form 1310 incorrectly which is unethical.  Why does this have to be so difficult?  Even the IRS is a pain in this regard because instructions on 1310 say not to file it if you are a court appt rep---however if you do not file it, IRS contacts client and asks for 1310.

Called customer service, they said, "wow that is weird" but refused to report it or escalate problem and advised me to file incorrect form 1310.  Was told "many people have to complain about an issue before it will be addressed"....My response, "if customer service refuses to report this issue, how will anyone ever know that many people complained...and a mistake in the software preventing correct filing should be addressed no matter how many people complain.

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you deal with it.  I refuse to mail in decedent returns because the IRS takes over 2 years to process them and sends client letters asking for forms that were already filed.

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

"I refuse to mail in decedent returns because the IRS takes over 2 years to process them and sends client letters asking for forms that were already filed."

I think there was something called a pandemic a few years ago and that happened a lot.  No evidence that it continues to happen, years later, but old tax myths die hard.  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you have a court appointed representative you only attach the court certificate. Do not fill out 1310.

1310 instructions.

Who Must File. If you are claiming a refund on behalf of a deceased taxpayer, you must file Form 1310 if: • You are NOT a surviving spouse filing an original or amended joint return with the decedent; and • You are NOT a personal representative (defined later) filing, for the decedent, an original Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, or 1040-NR that has the court certificate showing your appointment attached.

Here is a link. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf

140Main
Level 2

Thanks, but If I don't fill out Form 1310 in the software and "only attach the court certificate", I get an Intuit reject telling me I have to have court docs attached---which I already do.  this is a program glitch, not a lack of my understanding or following instructions.  I just have no idea why no one else has these issues.  The cust support person said that what was going on in the program didn't make sense but she refused to escalate it.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you attach pdf file under "form/schedule and description" just try using "court papers" do not use the word form. Hope that helps.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

I am still fighting with the IRS to get them to accept a paper filed F1310 that is "inaccurate, illegible, or incomplete."

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers