Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I file a Registered Domestic Partner Return In CA?

Shortt5
Level 2

I am trying to file a return for a registered domestic partnership (not same sex) in the state of CA.  Do I have to complete two different files in the Pro series one to e-file the federal return as single and another file to e-file the CA state return as married filing separate? What should be the process?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The CA one wilt be Married Joint/RDP the fed will be Single.  I guess you could file MFS for CA, but thats a bunch of extra work splitting everyone's everything in half manually, and joint generally comes out better.

I start with a MFJ federal, make sure that one is NOT marked for EF.  But mark it to EF the CA return.  Use the TSJ indicators to assign each income/deduction source to T/S.

Then split that MFJ return into MFS (the option is in the File menu when the return is open on the screen), then change those 2 MFS returns to Single.

Some people say you have to split everything 50/50 on the fed Single returns, just like a MFS, but the Feds consider you Single, no community property and a 8958 wont generate on a Single return, so Ive never done it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Shortt5
Level 2

Thank you for the information.  Your input helped me to complete the tax return. I appreciate your timely response. 

BobKamman
Level 15

Why doesn't the federal consider everything community property?  I thought federal law followed state law.  It might not be following it on filing status, but shouldn't it be following it on ownership of income?