Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you doing with technology this year?

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I have had three printers break, a faulty toner cartridge, and a stapler fall apart this year.  I refuse to buy a printer where the cartridge has a chip in it like a lot of printers nowadays have.  Even though the chip can be taken out and moved to a new cartridge, at least the one I had, it is still a risk with that little chip moving it around to after market cartridges and I will not pay the exorbitant prices for original toner.  

One more thing that I don't get how employers get away with this.. I offer payroll for my business clients and I purchase the perforated W-2s.  I am seeing more and more W-2s without perforations. I know many are printed online but even still more and more this way.  

Just venting a little. sorry this is not a PS question per se but my only sounding board that I have.  Thank you. 

11 Comments 11
dkh
Level 15

No equipment failure so far...(knock on wood).   I am frustrated in the delivery time for office supplies.  Of course, I should've known since everything else is taking longer to arrive.

I am right there with you on the perforated W2s.  I spend the money to get the proper forms for the W2s I provide to clients.   In my area, it's the small businesses that are able to do their own payrolls (most often with Quickbooks) that just print them out on regular 8x10 copy paper....tada!

GodFather
Level 8

I am new to ProSeries and found that my entire system started to run slow.  Not sure it was attributed to PS, just an issue that cropped up.  I had my IT person run some programs that helped clean things up and it feels like new now.  I also had an ethernet switch fail.  Replaced that and all is well now.  

shf1957
Level 7

Yes, I fully understand.  I bought my toners ahead of season over 670.00 worth.  Then my HP printer started to fail and leave marks,, internal issue.  It got to the point it was unacceptable. That's when I found out the secret to companies are to make newer and newer models and non of them take the same cartridges.   And of course this model is extinct.   Found a refurbished one on the opposite side of the country. So I bought it and it took a long time coming due to the trucking issues etc...  so I could on process returns but not print the hard copies for 9 days... by the time it came.. It took me two days to package all those up....so i am so behind .... LOL    Venting is good.. LOL

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have a three year cycle for buying computers and printers and I always buy the factory toner cartridges.  No problems here - the staplers even work, even though they aren’t on a three year cycle.  But you do have to plan a little better for office supplies - @dkh is right, they are taking longer to get here these days.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Oddly enough I broke two staple removers on the same staple last week.  Granted they were probably 40 years old and the plastic/resin degraded at the same rate.  These extra useless "page 2s" of all the schedules this year are padding the folders quite a bit.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

My relocated printer, from home to the office is up and running.  Now waiting for a new home printer to get here.. Stocked up on paper today also. 

PATAX
Level 15

What a big joke indeed. One printer copier broke in the summer and got a new one. That new piece of crap only feeds about 5 or so Pages through the automatic feeder and then it jams up if you put in more than that. Luckily my other copier printer on my other computer is working good. The ink on both of them has gone through the roof. Double the price I used to pay years ago and less output. The ink cost much more than the printer. Had one ink cartridge brand new and put it in and it didn't work right off the bat. Just threw the piece of crap in the garbage since it's not worth trying to return it. Everything is a big joke now. Cheap crap that doesn't last long. Everybody got an angle to try to make a million bucks now. Just my nasty opinion.😉

rcooley25
Level 11

You sound like the ones on the old HeeHaw show that sang gloom, dispare and aganiy on me.

PATAX
Level 15

Loved me some Grandpa Jones, Uncle Junior,  and the fat dark-haired girl but I can't remember her name, might be Lulu or something...

rcooley25
Level 11

I got a new printer sabout 3 weeks ago. It works alright but the toner caqrtridge they give you is not filled with ink and I rn out real quick.

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah the cheapos do not put in regular cartridges in a new printer or copier. They put in weak half @$$ ones... make sure you have a credit card with a high limit when you go to buy those cartridges because they are really going to stick it to you. Everything is a big joke now.

0 Cheers