Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government at its finest

PATAX
Level 15

Received an email about a 1 hour course on how to prepare form W-4. Unbelievable. They made a simple form into a monstrosity.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

why would it be such a terrible thing to just let us choose a % to withhold?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Camp1040
Level 10

I tell clients if you can prepare the new W-4 and you have more than one job, kids, a spouse, you can prepare your own tax return!

Camp1040_0-1712190136910.png

More clients don't know what to do.  It takes more time. I'm not sure the best advice to give about withholding. Lately, I've been giving clients a tax rate and telling them to call the employer/IRA custodian/pension plan and see if they have an easier way to change it.

It is deflating.

We are trying to help the government.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

why would it be such a terrible thing to just let us choose a % to withhold?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Have you tried the IRS W-4 calculator?

PATAX
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA no I haven't tried that yet. Usually I tell clients to discuss it with the payroll department where they work and let them take care of it. I don't like to get involved with that. I tell the clients they have to increase the withholding or pay estimates.

GodFather
Level 8

It requires a course, for sure.  Surprised it's only an hour long.  

PATAX
Level 15

@GodFather 👍Give them a couple of more years and it will be a two day seminar.😉

BobKamman
Level 15

I struggled through one the other day.  I figured out that the new one is logical.  The problem is that we have been doing it so illogically for so long, it's difficult to reprogram our synapses.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman 👍🖖we can call the new one the Spock W-4.

IRonMaN
Level 15

So I'm curious.  Did you sign up for the course?😀

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN Nope. If my memory serves me right, it was an H&R Block course, unless my thick pop bottles were mistaken (I delete emails real fast).