Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1040, Schedule 2, Part II, Line 20

DanCoc
Level 3

I need to enter an amount on Line 20, Part II of Schedule 2, Form 1040.  The link takes to you a worksheet where you are Not able to enter any amount, it is a blocked field.  If I override, I get e-filing errors.  Makes no sense, this is an informational field, it shouldn't be blocked.  Seeing if anyone has found a work around to this.  Thanks, Dan

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont know what an installment payment from 965-A is referring to...whats the 965? 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
DanCoc
Level 3

965 refers to tax that was imposed with TCJA, it taxed undistributed retained earnings of controlled foreign corporations.  This tax was assessed on the 2017 tax returns, but the taxpayer was given 8 years to pay it back.  There is a Form 965-A that needs to be completed each year, since ProSeries doesn't have this Form available I need to attach as a pdf.  However, when they revised Schedule 2, they added a line to list your annual payment, it is for informational purposes only, doesn't get added into the total on Schedule 2.  I don't understand why ProSeries can't just make this a line we can data enter into, it is a blocked line.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Does the error notice prevent you from e-filing, or is it just a nuisance warning?  Apparently the payment of tax is billed separately by IRS, and the 965-A is useless paperwork that no one is going to look at anyway.  There's a June 2023 article about IRS problems with Section 965, here:

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2023/jun/sec-965-transition-tax-installment-payments-causing-pr...

It includes an IRS phone number which may or may not still be staffed.  

The Schedule 2 instructions don't even refer to Line 20, right?  So even for those who get hung up on IRS instructions being infallible, no one is going to jail by just leaving that line blank.  In my opinion, do your own research, etc.  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can just disable error check when you are ready to e-file. Just make sure you have no real errors

DanCoc
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the comments, thanks for the article, I had not read that one yet.  I am able to e-file without it, that is what happened for their 2022.  In some ways I am venting and was hoping someone from ProSeries might read this and submit it to programming.  I just don't see why they have to block the line.  Same thing happens with Schedule 1, Line 24z, there is a link but it goes to a worksheet where the line is blocked from typing anything in.