Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Duplicate of One That Was Previously Received" Error Message

JOFI
Level 7
Level 7

I e-filed a TY 2021 return for a client in 2022.  In July 2023, I e-filed an amended return for TY 2021.  Further changes were needed and I attempted to e-file a second amended return today when the e-filing window opened again.

I initially received an error message indicating I needed to change the e-file date to the current year.  I did that, and filed it again.  I then got the following error message:   "The submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received.   Please contact customer support."

Has anyone received this error message?  Any ideas on what I should do here?  I tried resaving the file with a new name, but am still getting the same error message.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

To EF a second amended return you need to mark an additional checkbox on the EF Info Worksheet telling the program that its a second amended return, could that be the hang up?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

To EF a second amended return you need to mark an additional checkbox on the EF Info Worksheet telling the program that its a second amended return, could that be the hang up?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JOFI
Level 7
Level 7

Thank you so much!  This was the first time I have electronically filed a second amendment to a return and had no idea that box even existed!

The return went through and I am now just awaiting final IRS acceptance.