Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation of portable buildings

Adri
Level 3

I have a client who has a business and in 2023 bought a portable metal building that now uses as a working shop. This one is easily movable.          

He also bought a second portable building (a little bigger) and spent over $ 30k in concrete and other materials to make it more permanent. This one can't be moved and is also used as a working shop for his business. 

What would be the correct classification when depreciating in proseries basic for each of the buildings? What about the materials bought?    thank you verhy much 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
  • portable building, These products qualify for a 7-year depreciation period. The reason is that these products can be fully dismantled, relocated, and reassembled
  • permanent commerical building - 39 years
  • materials part of the basis

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
  • portable building, These products qualify for a 7-year depreciation period. The reason is that these products can be fully dismantled, relocated, and reassembled
  • permanent commerical building - 39 years
  • materials part of the basis

BobKamman
Level 15

I've always wondered about that.

Portable.jpg

IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess there is a fine line between the definition of portable and poopable buildings.

Slava Ukraini!
Adri
Level 3

Thank you very much for your answer. I will double check how "portable" is the portable one. Thanks