Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation Items from past year

parvitstax
Level 5

If I began my business in 2023 but I purchased a brand new computer in 2020. Can I depreciate this item in 2023? Business use is now 100% for 2023 and obviously 0% for prior years. My thinking is this should be ok since I would lose the first 3 years of the 5 year depreciation window but curious what is correct in terms of depreciating items. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

When you convert an item from personal use to business use, you place it in service at the lower of cost basis or FMV at the time of the conversion.  What's the fair market value of a 2020 computer?  Maybe you can search the model number on ebay and find one for sale.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
rbynaker
Level 13

When you convert an item from personal use to business use, you place it in service at the lower of cost basis or FMV at the time of the conversion.  What's the fair market value of a 2020 computer?  Maybe you can search the model number on ebay and find one for sale.

parvitstax
Level 5

What if the FMV increases? Do you use the 2020 value instead if the 2023 value is higher?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

What if the FMV increased ??????    What computer purchased in 2020 would have a current FMV greater than the original purchase price?         

parvitstax
Level 5

It's a general scenario but this happened to many computers with certain GPUs. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Somebody should tell Jim to sell his Intuit stock and start investing in computers. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@parvitstax wrote:

What if the FMV increases? Do you use the 2020 value instead if the 2023 value is higher?

FMV at the time of conversion OR purchase price, which ever is LOWER

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪